Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Distance Run

Confession time: I am not a runner. I do not 'run', I do not enjoy running, I do not understand this (mystical) phenomenon of a 'runner's high'. And I firmly, FIRMLY believe that standing on a starting line with the knowledge that you are going to be doing ONE exercise for the next FOUR HOURS (if you're LUCKY) is an ancient form of torture that causes Zeus to occasionally dissolve into a fit of giggles because he can't believe people today subject themselves to it willingly (thanks Pheidippides).

I will, however, occasionally go for a run. Why? Because it's logistically easy - it takes virtually zero advance planning to accomplish and I can do it almost literally anywhere. Because I know it's a legit form of exercise - it burns real calories and helps build real muscles (I'm looking at you, elliptical. You don't fool me.) And because I can bring my dog -- I get to pretend he's getting the quality time he deserves and he gets to romp through grass. Look at all those birds I'm killing with stones.

So today I'm going for a run. While yesterday's exploits might make me regret this decision, hopefully I won't notice until I'm far enough away from my house that turning back results in running  a respectable distance. Plus, I don't think I have much of a choice -- there's a time factor involved in that I have dinner plans, and while today it's a balmy 82, starting tomorrow the outside air temp will be approximately 'hellacious'.

Pre

Energy Level [1-5]: 4
Sore Areas: none?
Yesterday: No alcohol! Ass kicking cardio!
Environment: Outdoors - warm, with a nice breeze.

Workout
Equipment: none!
Work Time: 55:00
Distance: 5.6 mi.

Post
Energy Level [1-5]: 4
Stretch Time: 8:00
Total Time: 65:00

Day After
Sore Level [1-5]: n/a?
Sore Areas: Not so much 'sore' as 'extremely fatigued'. Stairs are a challenge.

Comments
Well, I was right. I lasted about 27 seconds before my legs turned into Jello. Unfortunately, 'around the block' doesn't count as a respectable distance. So instead I employed my patented method of 'give exactly zero fucks about my speed (or lack thereof)' and ground out a little over 5 1/2 miles [5.6, to be exact]. Took me 55 minutes start to finish, but I'm going to give myself... enh... 3-4 minutes for doggie breaks and red lights. Works out to about a 9:15-ish pace. Not my best by any stretch of the imagination, but not bad considering how I felt.

No comments:

Post a Comment