Thursday, June 14, 2012

CXWORX + Body Pump


Took a day off from the gym yesterday to go to trivia -- I'd feel guilty, but we won! Clearly there are no regrets with that. However it did result in an unpleasant surprise on the scale this morning, so it's back to the grindstone today.

Another workout I've pulled from the Women's Health 'Big Book of 15 Minute Workouts' - this time their 'Bikini Body Workout 1', but with some tweaks. They want me to do a move that involves a pushup on a barbell, then rolling it forward, then back in, then repeating the pushup, etc. etc. I'm switching it out, not because I don't think I can do it, but because the barbells we have at our gym have fixed weights. I'm sure there are arm-sized free weight bars that you lock plates on to somewhere around, but all the ones I've seen are in the class studio and I'm not entirely sure I'm allowed to take things out of there for use elsewhere... so I shall improvise!

Boyfriend kindly offered to play with Dog last night, so I took the opportunity to spend a little more time at the gym that I usually do. Did 13 minutes on the rowing machine because that's all I had time for, but then took a pair of classes back-to-back. The first was a 30 minute core workout called 'CXWORX' and then an hour of BodyPump. I do take BodyPump on a fairly regular-ish basis, so I'm going to go ahead and keep track of my weights so I can try and figure out if I'm improving or if I need to add/subtract plates.

Pre
Energy Level [1-5]: 3
Sore Areas: Hamstrings
Yesterday: Alcohol,  No Exercise :(
Environment: Indoors. Cool via giant noisy fans.

Workout
Warmup: repeat minutes 3:00 - 6:00 until 13:00 are up

Minutes min/500m Distance Traveled
0:00 - 2:592:30~ 600m
3:00 - 3:592:00-~250m
4:00 - 4:59~ 2:40~190m
5:00 - 5:59~ 2:15~217m
Total: 0:00-15:002:19-2850m

Equipment: resistance band [orange], small barbell, plates: 5kg x4, 2.5kg x2, 1kg x2
Work Time: 90:00

CXWORX: 30:00, various core exercises
BodyPump: 60:00, full-body workout

Muscle GroupWeight [plates = total]Increase/Decrease?
Warmup - All2 x 5kg = 10 kgno
Legs/Gluts4 x 5kg + 2 x 1kg = 22kgno
Chest2 x ( 5kg + 1kg) = 12 kgno
Back/Hamstrings2 x (5kg + 2.5 kg +1kg) = 17 kgIncrease
Biceps2 x 5kg = 10 kgno
Triceps2 x 5kg = 10 kgno
Shoulders2 x 5kg = 10 kgno

Post
Energy Level [1-5]: 3
Stretch Time: 5:00
Total in-Gym Time: 2:00:00

Day After
Sore Level [1-5]: 1
Sore Areas: Chest, Triceps


Comments
I like body pump, but it definitely has the flow of making you feel like you're going to die while you're doing the exercises, but then 5 minutes after the class ends you're kind of like 'huh, I could probably do that again right now.' At least, that's what you think until you try to do a pushup and fall on your face. It's a sneaky little workout...

And a fun fact I learned from the instructor: in a typical 60-minute BodyPump class you do about 800 reps -- that's about 1 rep every 5 seconds! This was technically a 45-minute 'express' class, but apparently we still got in around 650 reps. Not too shabby...

No comments:

Post a Comment