Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Upper Body/Core Lift


Well, given the back to back running workouts I did earlier this week, it's understandable that my legs are down for today's count. So instead I'm going to focus on an upper body and core lifting session.


My goal for today is to actually get through these '15 minute' workouts in 15 minutes. *Maybe* twenty. That way I have time for two! Both from Women's Health Big Book of 15 Minute Workouts. One steals it's monkier from none other than FLOTUS herself: the 'Michelle-Obama-Arms Workout. I'm wary of this workout because it uses machines, which I hate using because someone else is ALWAYS using them. So we'll see how it goes. 

Pre
Energy Level [1-5]: 3 - feeling lethargic today. Really want to go to trivia. Can't afford the time or the calories.
Sore Areas: Legs are exhausted
Yesterday: Light alcohol, Cardio
Environment: Indoors -- hot/humid

Workout
Equipment: dumbbells: 8, 10, 15; medicine ball; resistance band; step
Work Time: 36:30

Upper BodyGoalActual
Exercise NameReps - Weight [type] Set 1: Reps - Weight [type] Set 2: Reps - Weight [type]
Standing Lunge + Cross Shoulder10/side - 8lbs15/side - 8lbs15/side - 10lbs
Lateral Band Raise10/side10/side [black]10/side [black]
Bicep Curls10 - 15lbs15 - 15lbs15 - 15lbs
Step Walkovers16/side16/side16/side
Standing V-Pull15 - 25lbs15 - 20lbs15 - 20lbs
Cobra Pushups101010
Tricep Pushdown - Both Grips15 - 30lbs
[x2]
15 - 30lbs [palm down]
15 - 30lbs [palm down]
15 - 30lbs [palm down]

10 - 30lbs [palm up]
Time7:30
[x2]
9:0010:30

AbsGoalActual
Exercise NameReps - Weight [type] Set 1: Reps - Weight [type] Set 2: Reps - Weight [type]
Reverse Wood Chop10/side - 15lbs [med ball]10/side - 14lbs12/side - 14lbs
Single Arm Lunge10/side - 10lbs16/side - 10lbs12/side - 12lbs
Reverse Plank + Leg Lift10/side10/side [table]
+ 20 sec.
10/side [table]
+ 20 sec.
Single Arm Bent Over Row12/side - 15lbs12/side - 15lbs12/side - 15lbs
Half Seated Leg Circles12/direction10/side12/side
Plank Twists10 [x3 sets]10, 10, + 10 plank lifts/side10 plank lifts/side
x3 sets
Time7:30
[x2]
8:009:00
*Color key: green = accomplished goal, blue = exceeded goal, yellow = did not meet goal

Post
Energy Level [1-5]: 3
Stretch Time: 0:00
Total Time: 50:00

Day After
Sore Level [1-5]: 2
Sore Areas: Upper Back

Comments
This was an interesting workout -- some things were too easy, some were too hard. A lot of modifications were made. Definitely need more weight next time on the both kinds of lunges, maybe the wood chop (med. ball choices are 14lbs or 18lbs) and maybe the bicep curls. I don't like using the resistance band because I don't know exactly how much resistance I'm putting on myself (depends on where I'm standing on the band), so I'll probably switch that out next time for dumbbells. My choices for the V pull were 20 or 27.5 pounds and 27.5 was too heavy -- I'll look harder next time for the little wights that get me to the in-between weights. The cobra pushups were surprisingly hard -- both sets needed a break before I got to 10. Same for the reverse plank; I felt like the muscles behind my knees were ripping every time I lifted my leg. So I went into a 'table top' position and lifted my legs instead, then added some time in the actual reverse plank. Loved the leg circles -- could really feel those working all kinds of ab muscles! And finally, I hated the plank twists -- my feet kept sliding back and I couldn't twist properly. So I subbed them out with side planks with a hip lift -- I think I'll keep those next time around.

No comments:

Post a Comment